Sunday, September 2, 2012

Family Road Trip Day 2

Second day started in Rapid City, South Dakota. Emily and I got to go for a little walk last night which was totally fun and a nice break for us to bond in. We got up far too early (like 7:30 but STILL) and headed out to Mount Rushmore! It was so cool to get to see the monument finally. I'd been working in South Dakota for 2 summers and had never seen Mount Rushmore.
The monument was actually much smaller than I thought it was going to be. I mean it's huge and AMAZING but when you see pictures like mine it looks SO BIG! Whereas it's pretty small looking. It's far away so that you can see the whole thing but I think that's what made it seem so small to me. Both my sisters agreed that it seemed smaller than what we were expecting. Once in the history part of we saw photos that really put the size into scale for us. The men working on the monument were so little compared to even bits of the faces. 
In case you can't read that it says:
The four American Presidents carved into the granite of Mount Rushmore were chosen by the sculptor to commemorate the founding, growth, preservation and development of the United States. They symbolize the principles of liberty and freedom on which the nation was founded. George Washington signifies the struggle for independence and the birth of the Republic; Thomas Jefferson the territorial expansion of the country; Abraham Lincoln the permanent union of the States, and equality for all citizens, and Theodore Roosevelt, the 20th century role of the United States in world affairs and the rights of the common man.
It was really cool getting to go and see the history of the place! I'm kind of a history nerd so I really loved it. 
That night we stayed in a cabin for 8 people but we managed to squish 10 people in there as we had met up with the T family. Which consists of Bruce, Candy, Bridget, Sean and Lindsey. Lindsey is in between my two sisters and her brother and sister, Bridget and Sean are both older than I am. It was really fun getting to see some friendly faces and the place we stayed at was awesome. Buena Vista Spa that had natural hot springs that you could chill in and the most interesting stream I've ever seen. It was flowing both hot a cold water, so hot a points that you could see the steam rising off of the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment